Utrecht is a great place to visit and there are a lot of stories to be told. It has a history of more than two thousand years: from Roman settlement, medieval cathedral city full of monasteries and churches, marketplace, capital of the province of Utrecht with its civil servants and small-scale industry to, finally, a flourishing centre of higher education and services. The historical centre has preserved in many places its original state, with its unique wharves along the wonderful canals and of course with the famous cathedral tower (112 m), highest in The Netherlands. Utrecht has also some spectacular new urban expansions, like the University campus of the Uithof and the new suburb of Leidsche Rijn.
In a 1,5 hour walk the English speaking guides of Gilde Utrecht will show you a lot of the aspects mentioned above. If you have special wishes, the guide often can accommodate you. Several specialists are available for themes such as Art Nouveau, Jewish life, women in Utrecht, literary history etc.
- You can make a reservation by phone, +31 30 2343252, every weekday from 2 till 4 p.m. or by e-mail to .
- We welcome groups. One guide can take a group up to 20 persons. Larger groups will be split up.
- The price per tour is € 8 for adults and € 4 for children up to 12 years of age. There is a minimum charge of € 32. If you cancel within a week before the agreed date, we have to charge a € 32 administration fee.
City Tours without reservation
- Gilde Utrecht offers city tours which you can join without reservation. In summer these tours are daily (from October to April only on Sunday) . The tours are in Dutch, but most of the guides speak English as well.
- Starting time: 2 p.m. Starting point: Domplein 9, next to the cathedral tower.
- The price is € 8 for adults and € 4 for children up to 12 years of age (cash only).
Private business tours
Gilde Utrecht offers exclusive city tours for business executives and their international guests and colleagues.
Our guides are retired board members, who have trained themselves in international presentation of highlights from the 2000 years’ history of Utrecht.
Your tour will be tailor made to meet your special interests. We are happy to discuss possibilities and we are open to any wishes. You might find it helpful to have a look at our suggestions for themes, as listed below.
Our guide can collect you and your guests at the hotel lobby and end the tour wherever you want. An average tour takes between 1.5 and 2 hours. Almost everything of interest in Utrecht is within walking distance from the inner city hotels.
We can introduce you to fine restaurants and local bars, for instance ‘Le petit bar’ which dates from 1702 and creates a feeling of being in a ‘Venice of the north’.
These special tours are available for smaller groups, up to ten persons. The costs for a tour are € 150,--, excluding consumptions, entrance fees and other additional expenses.
You can arrange a tour at least three working days in advance of the date and time of your choice.
Utrecht’s unique wharfs
The 18 ancient bridges
Medieval fortified houses
800 years old Dom tower
Boat ride in an open sloop
Or any theme you find elsewhere on this website